Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Huntington
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and your family. You’re probably considering how you should personalize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, be sure you examine home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll show you the way with our safety tips for new homeowners in Huntington.
Conduct a safety check of your new Huntington property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. First, make certain you have functioning smoke detectors. Try each one and change batteries if necessary. Are carbon monoxide detectors present? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to upgrade door locks and check all window locks. Go through every space and get to know your new home.
Smart security tips for your Huntington home
Once you’ve finished your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you can consider enhancing your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Huntington.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the top tools for new homeowners in Huntington is a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may view real-time video footage, control locking systems, and even communicate with people on your front porch right from your smartphone. You can even customize with amazing security implements like surveillance cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Update outside lighting. Exterior lights with motion detectors are an effective strategy in dissuading possible intruders. You might even integrate them with video cameras. When a motion sensor is triggered, it can signal your video equipment to record.
- Take care of your yard. Are you able to see all of your property through your windows? Are there oversized shrubs and trees blocking the view? Remove potential hiding spots for prowlers by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with folks on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people around you, there’s a greater chance they’ll advise you if they discern anything suspicious. You can also get involved in your community’s social media group if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you go with an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by illuminating smart lighting at programmed moments. This is a fantastic feature when you’re at work or on vacation.